We were decorating for a dinner at church, and my wife wanted some candle holders for some pillar candles. We found this one at a local store. After looking at it, I realized I could turn a pair of them pretty easily.
I created a Sketchup model of the holder.
I also created a profile with a grid, so I could easily see and measure the critical points.
I had a bunch of oak cutoffs, so I figured I could stack and glue them.
I first cut them mostly round on the bandsaw, and then glued them together.
I turned them using mostly a spindle gouge.
Once completed, I finished them with polyurethane, as I wanted a glossy finish.